The park system in Joliet had its beginning with the purchase of West Park (40 acres) and Highland Park (45 acres) by the City of Joliet. These areas, purchased in 1899, became the nucleus of the present Park District. An additional 327 acres was given to the District by the late Robert Pilcher. This land was purchased from Harlow Higginbotham in 1920 and is now known as Pilcher Park. An election on July 5, 1922 was successful in establishing the Joliet Park District. In 1926, George Woodruff donated land to construct a nine hole golf course, and then donated additional land in 1927 to add another nine holes, forming Woodruff Golf Course. This property, located on Gougar Road on the east side of Joliet, totals over 100 acres today. Woodruff Golf Club celebrated it's 85th anniversary in 2011. For more information on Woodruff Golf Club, visit www.jolietwoodruffgc.com.
12:00 AM - 11:59 PM