The Westmont Park District was formed in April 1959 by a referendum. The referendum asked the Village if they wanted to have a park district. The vote was 184 for and 59 against.. The first elected Commissioners were: Joseph Johanik Robert LaPointe Arthur B Hancock Paul Erdman Martin Bernard Kiwanis Park The first Budget and Appropriation Ordinance was for $20,000. The first two parks purchased by the newly formed Park District were Kiwanis Park for $2,400 and LeBeck Park for $800. Both were purchased in the first year. In 1959-1960 the Park District agreed to purchase Veteran's Memorial Park from the American Legion for $25,000. This was the amount the American Legion paid for the 10 acres in the 1950's. The agreement with the Legion stated that the property would always remain a public park. The years from 1959 to 1972 the Westmont Park District operated with a part-time staff, utilizing public facilities in the community to run programs. The Westmont Park District owned Veteran's Memorial Park, LeBeck Park and Kiwanis Park during this period.
12:00 AM - 11:59 PM